Today we’re featuring the story of a brave little 3 year old girl from Benoni, Chi-Nelri. Thanks to the selflessness of a living donor, she is alive today.
1. Which organ/tissue did you receive?
Liver transplant from a living donor.
2. How long were you on the waiting list for your organ?
Waiting time was 3 months, as we had a living donor.
3. What was life like before the transplant?
Because Chi-Nelri had very high Cholesterol (27+) she could have a heart attack any minute, so life was very stressful. We prayed every day that she will get a transplant in time.
4. Describe the emotions experienced when you received “The Call” for your transplant?
We as Chi-Nelri’s parents were so emotional. To hear that God has sent an angel to give Chi-Nelri a second chance was just so overwhelming. We are so blessed to have had a living donor.
5. What is life like now, after the transplant?
Chi-Nelri’s cholesterol count is normal. It’s still early days but she’s doing great. We don’t have to worry about a heart attack or a stroke constantly, and that is such a relief. We believe that everything will be just fine with God being with us the whole time. She will be able to live a normal life. We believe that God has a reason for everything. She will be able to testify one day, and God has a huge plan with her life.
6. What advice would you give patients on the waiting list?
Breathe and Believe!!! God will step in.
7. Why do you think there is a shortage of donors in South Africa?
Before we went through this process, we didn’t know much about organ donation. Now that we are aware of the situation in SA, we just want to make everyone aware of organ donation. It’s so important and I don’t think people know much about it.
8. If you could describe transplant in one word, what would it be?