Today we share the story of Mia Snyman from Worcester. Mia is a medical Dr AND a kidney recipient, so she knows more about transplantation than most, being both a Dr and a transplant recipient.
1. Which organ/tissue did you receive, and in what year?
Kidney Transplant, September 2016
2. How long were you on the waiting list for your organ?
3. What was life like before the transplant? How did you spend your days?
Working as a medical Dr, my days mostly consisted of treating patients, and there after waiting for dialysis to gain energy… ie being a patient myself!
4. Describe the emotions experienced when you received “The Call” for your transplant?
I was fortunate to have a living donor, my brother!
5. What is life like now, after the transplant?
Difficult to describe… Words like “freedom” and “second chances” come to mind.
6. What advice would you give patients on the waiting list?
Never, ever, stop fighting.
7. Why do you think there is a shortage of donors in South Africa?
Minimal Awareness. Especially in state hospitals.